January 18, 2008


After being introduced to and discussing the ONE campaign in our pre-departure class time, I came traveling with an awareness of the various problems that affect developing countries around the world and the specific goals to improve them in both Namibia and Botswana. Because of this, I have been looking for these issues and even hints of ways these countries are making efforts to improve them. The first I have observed, but the second I am still searching for.
A particular example of a goal that stood out to me as we visited three different schools during our stay was the education of women- Grasier Primary School in Damaraland, ?, and Etsa 13 Primary School. (The picture above is the third school we visited- Etsa 13). I have seen both girls and boys in attendance, but not an overwhelming majority of one gender. (Note: the students were not in school when we arrived at the second school- outside of Rundu-but we did see them walking along the streets after dismissal in distinctive male and female uniforms) My first thought was that these countries are somewhat making steps in improving these education goals. But, my opinion was soon changed when speaking to Mrs. Elizabeth, the first grade teacher at one of the schools that ranges from grades 1-10. The second picture above shows her first grade classroom. I asked her how many students attended regularly- and she replied 500+ this year but that the number is usually 700+. I then inquired why and she responded with 2 answers: First, that is was the first week of school back from summer break so that some children simply had not signed up yet (part of the lackadaisical African lifestyle I observed), and secondly, that many girls had "dropped out" due to pregnancy. And here was one of the eight millennium goals placed right before my eyes. You hear of this every once in a while in the United States- a girl bearing a child before she finishes her schooling- but very rarely do you hear it happening younger than the 10th grade (which is the highest grade at this school). Upon hearing that a significant loss in school rosters was due to pregnant women under the level of 10th grade, a part of me was surprised, yet another part-confirming the perceptions of the African culture that I came with.
This issue sparked my interest so I looked to our ever-informative tour guide, Burger, as a second source. He responded that it is a common practice for girls to not finish school because of pregnancy. It is not encouraged but neither is it looked down upon. (In many cases, the parents do encourage pregnancy as a way to promote marriage of their daughter, thus securing them with a man as a provider and protector that they may be too poor to offer). The mothers, now full of extra responsibilities, almost never return to complete their education. I have identified this as a problem very prevalent in this country, but I am still searching for a solution. I don't have one yet.