January 14, 2008


As I was browsing through a bookstore in Swakopmund, I came across a book entitled "Namibia: A Land of Contrasts". It caught my attention but before even opening the cover I was distracted by other books on the shelf. The idea of this country as a land of contrasts came to mind again as I was soaring above the landscape in a Cessna 206 plane this afternoon. The ride was exhilarating- hands sweating, seat grabbing, stomach dropping, heart pounding, eyes delighting, and God-trusting, yet absolutely amazing! We passed over the Kuiseb Pass and riverbed (noticeable by the presence of green trees), Gobabeb Desert Research Center, Tsondabvlei (the only breeding area for vultures in Namibia), the Shaunee, Longwall, and Edward Bohlen shipwrecks, diamond camps that operated in the early 1900s, the sand dunes of Sosusvlei (the largest in the world), bird preserve of Sandwich Harbor, salt pans (salt production through the evaporation of sea water processes 24 million tons of water annually to produce 400,000 tons of high-quality salt), thousands of flamingos and seals on the Skeleton coast, and the cities of Walvis Bay and Swakopmund from above. Through all of this I observed that in fact, Namibia is a land full of contrasts- and this is why I think so: In these two and a half hours I saw emerging burnt red colored sand dunes that drop abruptly to white clay pans, the bright sun providing light and heat as well as dark shadows from the dunes and trees that provide shade (that which we have all come to deeply appreciate), dried riverbeds adjacent to the Atlantic, soft sand and rock mountains, shrubs so alive and some so dead, sand dunes and mountains rising high above sea level yet long and wide flat planes of desert land, vast wildlife yet sparsity of resources, the people limited socially yet well-mannered, quaint city of Swakopmund yet 10km out of town- the Shanty towns of DRC and Mundesa. Of course, these contrasts are not all unique to Namibia but together they create the diversity within. The scenic flight from above showed me an overall view of this country and I have come to appreciate these things among many others. Namibia would not be the same country without these different aspects that I think describe its people, landscapes, and practices. I am very glad that I chose to "splurge" on an adventure such as this- one that further created a permanent picture of this country in my mind that will resonate in my memory forever.
The remaining of the day was spent pleasantly around the city- an early morning walk on the beach with Sam, browsing in the downtown area shops, visiting the Lighthouse, going to the open-air markets, lunch at a waterfront cafe, Kristal Museum, and enjoying mocha milkshakes with a few girls for an afternoon snack.